A comprehensive, collaborative, integrated approach to fall programs and services for adults in Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka.
Focus on achieving equity in health through:
- Leveraging the provincial fall prevention work within Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka.
- Increasing knowledge and awareness to the general population about the risk and impact falls can have on quality of life.
- To develop, implement and sustain a strategic focus on reduction of risk and incidence of falls through all stakeholders in Simcoe and Muskoka.
- To ensure a consistent, collaborative and integrated approach to falls, from the primary prevention, rehabilitation, secondary prevention levels through to tertiary levels of service on the continuum of care.
- To decrease the financial impact of falls in the health care system through decreased emergency visits related to falls.
- Consistent and practical data collection to reflect the above goals.
Membership is open to any interested individual or agency including health care providers from all sectors, community service agencies, service groups, recreation, community support networks, teaching institutions, workplaces, retailers, private sector, informal caregivers and family, municipal government and other groups pertinent to the SMIFS initiatives. Representation from older adults with lived experience of a fall is encouraged. Ideally, there should be a minimum of two older adults and two informal care givers on SMIFS.
Members will sit as either Core Members (CM) or Resource Members (RM). CMs will sit at the strategy table (steering committee) and may also sit at a strategy pillar table. While RMs will not sit at the strategy table, they will only sit on one of the five strategic pillar tables. CMs and RMs can be from the same organization. A CM will chair each of the five strategic pillars.